Thursday, September 11, 2008

Pottery, Not Politics

Today seems like a fine time to say that the point I tried to make in my last post was not about politics or who I want to be our next president. My point was that now is the time to willingly share truthful information with each other, and respect each others' differences. And, that regardless of party affiliation, if we approach each other now with open hands and hearts, we will all find ourselves in a better place on November 5, 2008, no matter who is our next president.

Maybe I could have made my point about communicating with each other openly and honestly better if I had talked about pottery, not politics.

"Centering: the act which precedes all others on the potter's wheel. The bringing of the clay into a spinning, unwobbling pivot, which will then be free to take innumerable shapes as potter and clay press against each other. The firm, tender, sensitive pressure which yields as much as it asserts. It is like a handclasp between two living hands, receiving the greeting at the very moment that they give it. It is this speech between the hand and clay that make me think of dialogue. And it is a language far more interesting than the spoken vocabulary which tries to describe it for it is spoken not by the tongue and lips but by the whole body, and by the whole person, speaking and listening. . . . To be open in what we hear, to be open in what we say . . ."

Mary Caroline Richards, Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person


Why pottery? Aside from the fact that pottery does provide such a lovely segue from politics to anything-but-politics? Laura and I have recently become blog buddies with Gary of Potter's Blog, and we want to introduce you to him because Laura and I are nice like that. Gary has a purple house, a pretty wife, likes beer, and has playful pets. And his pottery rocks. Stop by his blog (there is a link there to his Etsy store).


We got this cow bowl by Gary (and you know we gotta have more cow bell bowl around here):




It even has cute little udders. And Gary sent this cute piggie pencil for Laura, which she uses for her homework every night. Laura swooned when she saw the piggie pencil. I pet the cow bowl 500 times every day.




And when Gary learned that Laura loves ducks, he started working on this duck bowl and duck mug (I will post pictures or a link to Gary's pictures when they are finished); when she saw these, Laura swooned again:






Laura asked me to show Gary pictures of the duck bowl she painted. You may note that the bowl actually has a relief image of a dog's face in the bowl, but Laura likes ducks and so she painted over it.




And Laura has worked on a potter's wheel too. She wanted Gary to see the small duck pitcher she created and glazed. She uses it to hold the milk she will pour on her granola. Laura would like Gary to know that the glaze she used is more purple in color, rather than the brownish color it seems in her mother's sucky photograph. This is important because Laura, Cheri, and Gary love purple.




But really? Why talk about pottery or politics when we can discuss shoes. Gary asked in a recent blog post, What do your Converse Chuck Taylors say about you? So in his comment section I told him: "My Chuck Taylors (low-top, black) have Swarovski crystals glued to the toes. Yes, they do." Gary emailed me and asked me for a picture. Now Jenn @ Juggling Life and katydidnot have had the opportunity to ooo and ahh over my Swarovski encrusted sneakers in person, oh yes they have. After all the lovely pottery and open communications he shares with us, how could I not share with our dearest Gary the small token of a photo? So now I must ask you, Mr. Pottersblog, What do my Chuck Taylors say about me?

31 comments:

Denise said...

OMG you rock, and so do those SHOES!!

Janet said...

dude those chucks are SO bad!!!

Amy said...

Love the chucks! Cheri you are too funny - we don't agree at all about politics, but that's okay. I still love your blog! I think your points were completely clear the other day.

Have a great night!

gary rith said...

Oh Cheri, should we think Freudian analysis of your Chucks, or maybe Jungian analysis, or Meyers-Briggs analysis of your Chucks? How about intuitive, from an anarcho-punk perspective????
OK--black lowtop tends toward TYPE A personality, I think--go getters. BUT, the crystals modify that. They suggest whimsy and fun, even a party girl side. So maybe we have someone who is energetic and smart and likes to have FUN!!!!!! HA!
Please tell Laura that her work is totally superb. If she wants to be a brain surgeon or rocket scientist, OK, I understand, but she has amazing talent with clay. AMAZING.

Amy said...

More cowbell

Tootsie Farklepants said...

They say you're awesome!

JCK said...

You are a bad, bad girl!

dkuroiwa said...

The ducks are cute, but I do love me some cow!! I have many cow things here...japanese people are just confused!!
The Chucks? What do they say?
They say "Cheri Rocks!!" and you do.
I'm now lusting after those Chucks, but only if they come in pink!!!

Mrs. G. said...

I love that cow bowl.

And the shoes? So you.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Jenn knew from the first time she saw the shoes that she loved the beautiful woman who stood in them.

katydidnot said...

i love laura's duck.

and your shoes. can you send me where to get them again?

and i love the duck coffee mug, i'd totally share my coffee with that guy.

phd in yogurtry said...

When I see someone in Chuck T's, I immediately think of someone who has an artistic flare, who moves to the beat of a different drummer, who has an understated coolness. Now, jewel encrusted CTs? Sparkly coolness.

Me, on the other hand, I have short, wide feet. Could never wear CTs. But, not much fashion coolness emanates from me, so I guess there's a certain poetic justice involved.

Patti said...

Very beautiful pots. And I'm keeping mum about politics, too. What does it say about me if I have no chuck taylors?

Sojourner said...

I have no Chuck Taylors, I don't even know who Chuck Taylor is. But I love pottery, the duck cup, the cow, and so on. Now, please post a pic of you in my bracelet and send folks over to MY shop. I am so glad you love your bracelet and I am cool with 'da bomb'.

dkuroiwa said...

Pssst...c'mere....I got something for you...four things actually....and I think you know what you got that I want. :-D
i need an snail-mail address, my luv...e-mail it to me and let's get this party started!!
*mwah*

g said...

Those shoes are the bomb!!

Politics and blogging....wow.

I spend a lot of time visiting poltical blogs and posting there, and I have very strong opinions. But I kind of feel like, since my blog is not a political blog, I want people to enjoy it without feeling like I'm ranting at them.

I'm not ashamed of my position, and I show it on my blog, but I don't write posts about politics - unless in a general way.

This is a watershed year. This election is extremely important.

I liked Mrs. G's post because it wasn't a lecture and it wasn't asserting anything. It was talking about the AFFECT of these discussions on our realationships and our lives.

We have to remember that politics, in many ways, is a contrived ritual of conflict. In actual fact, the chasm between most candidates' positions is wildly exaggerated. If we allow ourselves to become surrogate warriors in a struggle that the main players know is a charade, we are harming our national psyche.

So - look for common ground, shared humanity, and come together.

And wear those rockin' sneakers! Damn, girl!

g said...

Oh, and Cheri - thanks for the Santa Monica lu-u-u-u-u-v! When were you there, did you ever go to rock concerts at the Civic?

GoteeMan said...

Gotta have more cowbell, baby... er, cowbowl...

;-P

J/ (goteeman.blogspot.com)

stephanie (bad mom) said...

Those shoes are fantastic. Jealousy...

And all that pottery is definitely swoon-worthy; will visit Gary soon.

Miss Laura should set up her own art blog, I think.

Nora Bee said...

Those are some lovely Chucks. I used to have quite the collection of them myself.

gary rith said...

Cheri--the bowl is fired and finished and you can see it you know where.

Minnesota Matron said...

Politics still wins for this girl. She's that lost. . . .

kcinnova said...

Cheri, those are some impressive Chucks! When I bead, Swarovski crystals are the very best for the most special of recipients...so to use them on shoes?!? VSP (very special person) alert!!

You & Laura have great taste in pottery. (We eat off of Gary's creations every day.)

I've seen you around (Juggling Life, Derfwad Manor, Pottersblog)--thanks for stopping by my little world. :)

Nap Warden said...

OK first...I love the shoes! I knew you were a cool cat, but wow way cooler than I ever imagined!

Gary's work...fabulous! I have always wanted to learn this, and never found the time. The duck bowl...just love it:)

My Ice Cream Diary said...

LOVE the cow bowl udders.

Your shoes say, "Cheri is a laid back, fun loving fashionista with class."

Motherhood for Dummies said...

I love that cow bowl! Toooo cute!

nutmeg said...

Cool pottery, but I happened to love what you had to say about politics!

carrie said...

Your shoes are adorable! And I love that cow bowl!

CC said...

Awesome pottery! And I agree.....

Helen E.M. Wright said...

Okay those are the best shoes ever!! Did you do them yourself!!

Totally got your 'truthfulness' on the last post! ;)

Grandy said...

One of the more fun things about this whole blogging community we have is that we are going to have different opinions. We can't all be alike...good grief. That would be like me reading my own diary every day. BORING!!

My mother-in-law is a potter. I should try and learn the skill...but that would require way too much time in her studio.