Tuesday, June 17, 2008

His Sunglasses

Deb at San Diego Momma is still hosting PROMPTuesdays. If you haven't read any of the submissions yet, hop on over there and take a look. Deb is a mighty brilliant writer and her PROMPTuesdays inspire others. She's back again this week for PROMPTuesday #9. Go on over and take a look. Better yet, challenge yourself and write one this week. I have been doing these exercises each week, and I'm always amazed/amused/afraid of what tumbles out of my head and ends up on my screen when, as Deb puts it, my "primal thinking before the ego and judgmental brain kicks in."

Here's this week's prompt from Deb:

Today’s PROMPTuesday keeps it simple.

Read this poem (one of [San Diego Momma's] favorites):

Disillusionment of Ten O’Clock
by Wallace Stevens

The houses are haunted
By white night-gowns.
None are green,
Or purple with green rings,
Or green with yellow rings,
Or yellow with blue rings.
None of them are strange,
With socks of lace
And beaded ceintures.
People are not going
To dream of baboons and periwinkles.
Only, here and there, an old sailor,
Drunk and asleep in his boots,
Catches Tigers
In red weather.

Meditate on it for a minute. Then write whatever comes to mind.

Here are PROMPTuesday’s rules:

* You must write your entry in 10 minutes. This encourages top-of-mind, primal thinking before the ego and judgmental brain kicks in. Just set a timer, make your kid count to 600 slowly, whatever. It’s an honor system. And I trust you.
* Keep to 250 words or less.
* Please have fun. Don’t put pressure on yourself. Together, let’s rediscover the simple joy in the writing process.
* Post your submission in the comments OR post in your blog and leave a link to your blog in the comments.

Write y’all. Let those red tigers escape.



Here's my PROMPTuesday entry for this week's exercise:

His Sunglasses

She perused websites, went to lots, and took a test drive or ten. After a considerable period of time filled with comparisons and discernment, she made her choice. Into a brown paper bag from Trader Joe’s went colored markers, a spiral notebook filled with doodles, his sunglasses, a bottle of hand sanitizer, a plastic container of baby wipes, a half-filled bag of raw almonds, a cell phone charger, two packs of gum promising to whiten teeth, a tube of Revlon ColorStay Sheer Champagne lip gloss, and a Betty & Veronica comic book. She opened the door and the scent from the new leather seats filled her nostrils. One by one, she removed the contents from the brown paper bag. The markers and notebook and comic book went into the built-in pockets behind the front seats, easily accessible to the hands of little passengers. The hand sanitizer, gum, and lip gloss were nestled in the compartment below the center console. The container of baby wipes rested on the front passenger-side floor mat, waiting to clean all manner of mess. The cell phone charger was plugged into the cigarette lighter that would never be used but to charge a cell phone or an iPod. The bag of raw almonds was stowed in the glove box, ready to soothe hunger pangs in a pinch. His sunglasses used to have a special compartment between the sun visors, in the old car. The new car had no such compartment. Where would she put them now?

19 comments:

katydidnot said...

can i ride in the back with laura and the comics and markers?

Mrs. G. said...

You are such a Betty-she was my favorite. Wallace Stevens is the man.

Tricia said...

This sounds like the inside of my purse, only not as nicely organized.

Family Adventure said...

Once again...you rock these prompts! Love this one.

Heidi

Amber M. said...

You're flippin' amazing at these prompts. Crazy talented, you are.

You can come rock on my porch anytime! I'll even break out the Mint Milanos and the Dr. Pepper...that's about as crazy as we get in NE.:-)

bluemountainsmary said...

That is exactly the sort of stuff I have in my car.

The sunglasses are intriguing though.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I bet no one would lose their Colorado driver's license between the seats in that car!

Laski said...

Holy cow! Seriously, you are too good!

San Diego Momma said...

Such attention to detail! It gets me every time. And what makes your stuff so good. (Aside from the gorgina writing.)

Deb
sandiegomomma.com

Kareer Woman said...

Wow, impressive :)

katydidnot said...

sick burn, jenn.

JCK said...

Oh, I used to love the Archie comics!!

This sounded like a fun ride. Can I come, too?

Nap Warden said...

Well done! I love Betty:)

Amanda said...

It is so fun how one poem can make people think of different things! It is fun to remember the simple things that drive you a little crazy. :)

Attila The Mom said...

LOL! Loved it!

My Ice Cream Diary said...

I've loved me many an Archie comic in my time.

You right as if every story is from your own life. Very good.

La La said...

I totally love this, and I'm going to try it this week! Thanks for sharing it.

I love your response. Way cool writing!

dkuroiwa said...

So...is someone making plans for major road trip?? or are you just really wanting to go on one?? you know...sometimes our true feeling come out in our writing...just wondering....
This was great!!!

**and by the way....where are you?? did I miss a post where you said you were taking a break?? I hope all is well with you and yours!! just miss ya, that's all!!

Melanie said...

I had that ACTUAL issue, baby. Sigh. There was nothing like a shiny, new Betty & Veronica a trip to the lake.